The Interpreter (deaf or hearing) must be adaptable, flexible, detail oriented, and have the proven ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Strong interpersonal, and outstanding customer service skills are required. The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with team members, external customers, and leadership are also required. Compensation is based on level and experience.
The interpreter will work in various environment: virtual meetings, VRS platform for non-emergency calls, VRS platform for emergency calls (emergency calls can be difficult and emotional both for the caller and the interpreter).
Responsibilities & Duties
To provide high quality interpretation using International Signs and English (spoken or written) and other native spoken or written languages.
- Fluent in IS, spoken or written English and, another native Sign Language
- Effectively interpret between IS and English and/or other spoken/signed languages
- Willing to get the WFD – WASLI Certification
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Provide interpreting services between:
- International Signs users and English language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- or, International Signs users and other native Sign Language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- Adhere to the NAD Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Professional Code of Conduct or similar national code of conduct
- Provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Reviews and researches professional literature, journals, etc. and attends conferences, and workshops to maintain certification and stay current on best practices.
- Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with team.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Seek manager support for difficult interpreting situations.
- Complete required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to a supportive work environment with positive and creative participation.
- Comply with policies and procedures as outlined by World In Sign
- Ensure World In Sign’s Mission, Vision, and Values are represented in all interactions
Education & Experience
- National certification in your native sign language (the sign language of your country, for example RID in the USA) required
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to linguistics, interpretation or sign language is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in IS interpretation preferred.
- Proficiency in basic computer and technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite of products required.
- Must have a computer with webcam and microphone able to process virtual meetings (on Zoom, Teams or other software) via the internet.
- Working knowledge of other languages is a plus but not required.
- By project
- Fully remote
- Occasionally on-site (upon agreement with interpreter)
Negotiable, based on diploma, experience, and skills
How to apply
Click below to complete an online application. Please attach a resume and cover letter with the position title, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire), and/or certifications and licenses.