World In Sign is a new company and is currently seeking certified and qualified freelance American Sign Language interpreters to provide interpreting services remotely. This position is completely online, all services will be done virtually.
The Interpreter must be adaptable, flexible, detail oriented, and have the proven ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Strong interpersonal, and outstanding customer service skills are required. The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with team members, external customers, and leadership are also required. Compensation is based on level and experience.
The interpreter will work in various environment: virtual meetings, VRS platform for non-emergency calls, VRS platform for emergency calls (emergency calls can be difficult and emotional both for the caller and the interpreter).
Responsibilities and Duties
To provide high quality interpretation using American Sign Language and English (spoken and written).
- Fluent in ASL, spoken and written English
- Effectively interpret between ASL and English
- National Certification required
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Provide interpreting services between American Sign Language users and English language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- Adhere to the NAD Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Professional Code of Conduct.
- Provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it pertains to the Deaf community.
- Reviews and researches professional literature, journals, etc. and attends conferences, and workshops to maintain certification and stay current on best practices.
- Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with team.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Seek manager support for difficult interpreting situations.
- Complete required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to a supportive work environment with positive and creative participation.
- Comply with policies and procedures as outlined by World In Sign
- Ensure World In Sign’s Mission, Vision, and Values are represented in all interactions.
Education, experience, technology and, skills
- RID Certification required
- Bachelor’s degree in American Sign Language-English Interpretation or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of American Sign Language interpretation preferred.
- Proficiency in basic computer and technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite of products required.
- Must have a computer with webcam and microphone able to process virtual meetings (on Zoom, Teams or other software) via the internet.
- Working knowledge of other languages is a plus but not required.
Occasionally on-site (upon agreement with interpreter)
Based on diploma, experience and skills
How to Apply?
Complete an on-line application (click below) and attach a resume/CV and cover letter with the position title, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire) and/or certifications and licenses.