On-site Event American Sign Language Interpreter
World In Sign is looking to get in-person, on-site interpreting back to the community!
World In Sign is currently seeking certified and qualified freelance American Sign Language interpreters to provide interpreting services at on-site events for our customers in the Washington D.C., Maryland, and West Virginia (DMV area).
The interpreter must be professional, adaptable, flexible, detail-oriented, and have the proven ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Strong interpersonal and outstanding customer service skills are required. The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with team members, external customers, and leadership is also required. Compensation is based on level and experience. Mileage will be paid at the current IRS reimbursement rate if interpreter is using his own personal vehicle; in addition to any parking expenses; (i.e., meters, garages). Public transportation will also be reimbursed if schedules agree with the ability to arrive and depart at job assignment.
Responsibilities and Duties
To provide high quality interpretation using American Sign Language and English (spoken and written).
- Fluent in ASL, spoken and written English
- Effectively interpret between ASL and English
- National Certification preferred, but not required
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Provide interpreting services between American Sign Language users and English language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- Adhere to the NAD & RID Professional Code of Conduct.
- Provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it pertains to the Deaf community.
- Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with team and clients.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Complete required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to a supportive work environment with positive and creative participation.
- Comply with policies and procedures as outlined by World In Sign
- Reliable transportation
Education, experience, technology and, skills
- RID Certification preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in American Sign Language-English Interpretation or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of American Sign Language interpretation required.
- Working knowledge of other languages is a plus but not required.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $35.00 – $65.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Lunch provided (dependent on hours worked)
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Anyone who reports to our corporate office must be fully vaccinated.
- Are you RID Certified?
- Do you have more than three (3) years of experience in an interpreting situation?
- Do you have reliable transportation?
- Associate (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 100% (Required)
- Various on-site locations in the DMV area.