On-site American Sign Language Interpreter
Our company World In Sign is actively seeking an upbeat and diverse individual to be a part-time American Sign Language interpreter with World In Sign. Perfect your skills in an office where the staff is 62.5% deaf or HOH (hard of hearing). The position is based in our corporate office in Silver Spring, Maryland. Reporting to the office Monday – Friday is required; however, in dire circumstances, could be done remotely. A dependable mode of transportation is required.
The interpreter must be adaptable, flexible, detail-oriented, and have the proven ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Strong interpersonal and outstanding customer service skills are required. The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with team members, external customers, and leadership is also required.
Most of the assignments are for the company’s meetings and on-site visits with clients & customers.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4 pm Eastern Time (per your availability at other times)
- Must be comfortable with technical and non-technical meetings
- Position to fill immediately
- To provide high-quality interpretation using American Sign Language and English (spoken and written).
- Fluent in ASL, spoken and written English
- Effectively interpret between ASL and English
- National Certification preferred but not required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Provide interpreting services between American Sign Language users and English language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- Adhere to the NAD Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Professional Code of Conduct.
- Provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it pertains to the Deaf community.
- Reviews and researches professional literature, journals, etc. and attends conferences, and workshops to maintain certification and stay current on best practices.
- Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with the team.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Seek manager support for difficult interpreting situations.
- Complete required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to a supportive work environment with positive and creative participation.
- Comply with policies and procedures as outlined by World In Sign
- Ensure World In Sign’s Mission, Vision, and Values are represented in all interactions.
- Proficiency in basic computer and technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite of products required.
- When working remotely, must have a computer with a webcam and microphone able to process virtual meetings (on Zoom, Teams, or other software) via the internet.
Monday – Friday from 8 am to 4 pm EST (per availability at other times)
$40-$55 per hour, dependent on experience.